The Ultimate Pup-kin Pie Recipe
Last week, Leisurely attendees had the opportunity to make doggie pumpkin pies! The night was filled with adorable four-legged friends, as humans and dogs alike took part in learning to make, and tasting, human-grade doggie pies over some wine.
As Thanksgiving approaches, we’re dishing out the ultimate doggie pie recipe that you’ll definitely want to “File - Save As.”
Recipe below, courtesy of Mei-i…
Pup-kin Pie Recpe
Pie Crust Ingredients:
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
3 tbsp water, room temperature
3⁄4 cup white rice flour
1⁄4 cup coconut flour
4 tbsp coconut oil; scoopable, not liquid
1⁄2 cup water, ice cold
Pie Filling Ingredients:
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg (optional)
1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
1⁄4 tsp ground ginger (optional)
2 tbsp Greek yogurt
For pie crust:
1. In a small bowl, mix together flaxseed meal and 3 tbsp room
temperature water. Set aside.
2. Add flour for pie crust into a large mixing bowl and whisk to
3. Next, add coconut oil in spoonfuls and use a pastry cutter (or
fork!) to cut the two together until it resembles wet sand.
4. Add in flaxseed mixture.. Use wooden spoon to mix together.
5. Slowly, add in ice cold water until dough comes together and
is not sticky. It is ok if less water is needed.
6. Use hands to gently knead the dough in the bowl and
transfer to a floured surface +form into disc with your hands.
7. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until needed.
1. In a large mixing bowl, add in puree, eggs, spices and mix
2. Mix in yogurt slowly until well mixed.
3. Set aside until needed.
For pie assembly:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Use coconut oil to lightly grease the mini pie pans to avoid
3. Lightly flour the top of the dough and rolling pin and gently
roll dough to about 1⁄4” thick roughly. Using a 5” round
cookie cutter, stamp out circles of dough for the mini pie
4. Lay each circle into your mini pie pan and use your fingers to
form it to the pan. If there is excess dough over the top of
the pie pan, cut off excess and reserve.
5. Gently crimp the top edges of the pie or use a fork to create
6. Add filling to the lined pie pan until just below the top. It will
rise slightly with the egg.
7. Using the excess dough, use cookie cutters in various fall
themed shapes and use to decorate the top of the pie.
8. Use coconut oil to lightly top the crust to ensure even
9. Bake for 50 minutes. Pie should be set when it darkens in
color and does not jiggle.
10. Remove from oven and cool.
11. Pie should be refrigerated until ready to eat. :let it come back
to room temperature 1 hour before ready to serve your dog
for maximum enjoyment!